Steps to Become a Miss Wisconsin Candidate
- Review our “Local Miss Competition” to find a local program in your area.
- If there is a local program in your area, contact the local director for more information.
- If you are a Fair Queen titleholder or college titleholder who would like to compete in the Miss Wisconsin Competition, please contact us.
Candidates compete in the following areas of competition: private interview, talent, on-stage question/social impact pitch, and evening wear. Each candidate chooses a personal social impact initiative she will promote during her year of service, as well as supporting the national platform of Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals and STEM.
Participating in the Miss America Organization is one of the most rewarding and beneficial experiences available to young women in the United States. The Miss Wisconsin Scholarship Organization is a state preliminary competition that advances to the Miss America Competition.
BENEFITS OF THE PROGRAM
- Gain valuable experience and develop life skills that will benefit your everyday life (i.e. interview skills, public speaking, interpersonal communication, social interaction, etc.);
- Earn quality scholarship funds for college and graduate school, regardless of whether a title is won;
- Create awareness of your potential strengths and increase your self-confidence;
- Find new interests and discover new opportunities;
- Make lifelong friendships and relationships with your peers, as well as other generations;
- Gain a sense of accomplishment by using your free time in a positive and constructive manner;
- Learn to set goals, follow them through, and exceed your expectations;
- Develop a sense of responsibility for helping others;
- Foster a positive, self-motivated mindset to achieve your goals; and
- Receive recognition for your efforts in bettering yourself and your community.
WHERE TO START
To become a candidate, you must:
- Be between the ages of 17 and 25;
- Be a United States citizen;
- Meet residency requirements for competing in a certain city or state;
- Meet character criteria as set forth by the Miss America Organization;
- Be in reasonably good health to meet the job requirements; and
- Be able to meet the time commitment and job responsibilities as set forth by the local, state, and national competition(s) in which you compete.
AREAS OF COMPETITION FOR 2020-2021 LOCAL COMPETITIONS
PRIVATE INTERVIEW – 35%
The private interview is 10 minutes long: 9 min 30 seconds of open questions and 30 seconds at the end for the candidate to make statements on issues/subjects that she wants the judges to know about that has not been previously discussed. If discussion ends before the 30 seconds are up, then the interview ends. If a podium is used the candidate may stand behind it, or on either side of it, but not in front of it.
TALENT – 35%
Talent will be a maximum of 90 seconds. Any talent presentation over 90 seconds is unacceptable. Anything longer will be not be accepted, and this will be strictly enforced! Candidates should plan a performance that will not exceed this limit. Judges will be informed immediately if a candidate runs over her allotted time. Each judge will then use this information to assist in determining his/her score of the candidate’s talent competition. Talent may not consist of more than two songs from any one piece or medley of songs. Judging of talent will also take into consideration the qualities and attributes of Miss Local.
EVENING WEAR – 15%
Evening wear should express a sense of style and appropriateness for young women ages 17 to 25. The evening wear phase of competition is designed for the judge to assess the candidate’s poise, grace and commanding stage presence. The candidate’s total look is considered. Her evening wear (not the value of the evening wear) should complement the candidate’s individuality. It is permissible to wear cocktail dresses, evening pant suits, or long gowns.
ONSTAGE QUESTION/SOCIAL IMPACT PITCH – 15%
The judges will write and ask the Onstage Question as a continuation of the private interview. Following the candidate’s answer to the question, she will give a short statement promoting her Social Impact Initiative.
For more information: